Burnside up to a lot of "Myschif"

Friday, April 16, 2010

Local talent Ryon "Myschif" Burnside (left) performs the song "Is It You?" along with fellow Winthrop University alumnus John "Dice" Ross during a recent performance at Apostrophe Lounge in Charlotte, N.C., one of several performances leading up to the release of his latest album, which is expected to drop this month.

By JOE L. HUGHES II
The Gaffney Ledger

Success is usually a long, winding process, reaping bountifully for those patient enough to wait on the "perfect" opportunity.
It has been more than 20 years since Blacksburg native Ryon Burnside met his first love; not in the form of a woman, but in a certain form of music — hip-hop.
"(Hip-hop) has been part of my life since I was seven years old," Burnside said. "It has always been a love of mine, I simply love to make music."
A true student of the music genre, he often listened to the likes of 2Pac, Kool G Rap and Jay-Z, paying them close attention in hope of instituting some of their ingredients into his own work.
Now Burnside is getting the opportunity to make his own impact.
Standing silently in the shadows until it was his turn to take the stage, Burnside — performing under the rap name "Myschif" — gently whispers a few words to a friend of his accompanying him to Charlotte's Apostrophe Lounge a few weeks ago.
"I've been doing quite a few performances lately trying to gauge the buzz in the streets; It's time to take this thing over," Burnside said. "People are in for a rude awakening."
A breath of fresh air may be better used to describe the local native's performance as he makes rounds promoting his SuperNova Records debut expected to be released this month.
Living in Rock Hill since graduating from Winthrop University several years ago, Burnside introduced himself to the Carolinas' music scene through his 2007 album named "Prophecy Fulfilled." During the project, he worked with artists from as far away as California and Puerto Rico, in addition to fellow Palmetto State talent Rudy Currence, who was recently signed to Disturbing Tha Peace Records.
"I wanted to make people think when they listen to my music," Burnside said. "Right now, music has no content and is teaching very little to our youth. But I go to the heart of the matter, taking thoughts and feelings from my inner being in hope that I can translate there are a number of ways to be successful rather than hustling.
"There are pros and cons to hustling. In my case, I was able to find out about the life, make changes and begin again."
The Blacksburg native used a similar concept as he worked on his second album, using lessons learned from his upcoming project which has yet to be titled.
"What I am trying to show in this album is that I'm growing first as a man, as well as an artist," Burnside said. "Since my first project I have become more wise, a bit more mature. Hopefully my audience can see this in my music."
Burnside recently released the lead single for the project, entitled "Fly It Out." The untitled album is expected to include collaborations with fellow SuperNova Records artists Overflow, Marioso and Uno, in addition to fellow Winthrop University alum John "Dice" Ross, who came together with Burnside to create the song "Is It You?"
"(Burnside) is definitely trying to make a name for himself; he's always working trying to see what ways he can get better," Burnside's label mate Overflow said. "I'm definitely eager for what the future holds."

0 comments: