9-11 Remembered: 'I think time stood still for a second'

Friday, September 10, 2010

Published: Sept. 10, 2010 — The Gaffney Ledger

It seemed the only thing out of the ordinary for Gaffney resident Natalie Bolden was the route she took to her 100 William St. office in the heart of Manhattan on a bright September morning in 2001.
Her place of work located merely a block from the World Trade Center, the woman, eight months pregnant at the time, made the split-second decision to travel by bus to work rather than her usual means of transportation — taxi.
“Honestly, I felt that was likely going to be one of the few things different about the day,” Bolden said. “The vibe was regular, everything was going as it usually did.”
It would soon become apparent that this was not your typical day. Rather, it was one which will be remembered for generations to come.
First hearing a loud, booming noise, Bolden had no idea what had occurred — yet, had an idea whatever happened was not good.
“I was actually in the World Trade Center the first time it was bombed in 1992,” she said. “Yet I didn’t believe something like it could occur again. But as I saw the typical route by city subway trains detouring rides from the World Trade Center toward the governor’s mansion, my heart began to sink a bit.”
Looking up into the New York City skyline, Bolden’s worries were confirmed, seeing a gaping hole in one of the two towers.
“I think time stood still for a second; I don’t think anyone knew exactly what to think,” she said.
Already receiving numerous phone calls from friends and family wondering about her well-being, Bolden sat at her desk hoping the worst had already occurred. Within minutes, however, such tranquility was interrupted by the voice of a newscaster alerting viewers a plane had flown into the second tower at the World Trade Center.
“All I could hear was him and his screaming,” Bolden said. “I turned my attention to the screen and then that’s when the second plane hit the tower.”
A rush for the stairwells within the William Street building would ensue shortly after, as the building shook due to the impact of the plane’s recent collision with the tower. As workers tried to scurry out of the building, the stairway became congested.
Within a few minutes, emergency personnel began allowing those inside Manhattan buildings to leave and seek refuge. Tearing up towels and wetting them before putting the cloths to their faces in an attempt to breathe, Bolden began praying for her safety, as well as those in the city, praying the building would not come tumbling down as they made their way toward the Hudson River.
“For a time we tried to get out, but a cloud of soot would not allow anyone to breathe or see,” she said. “All we could do is come out running, and pray the building did not fall on us.”
Being pregnant, Bolden knew there was no way she could cross the Brooklyn Bridge alone, yet she found her way to the sea port, following many others traveling toward the Hudson River.
During the ride on the Hudson River, panicked and very emotional, Bolden was finally able to get in contact with her mother, letting her know she was safe.
“When the towers went down, so did phone service,” she said. “It was not until I made it to another borough that I had coverage.”
Working for Wall Street for six years, Bolden had moved from her World Trade Center office earlier in the year. Now, nine years following the accident, she reminisces about the day and the memory of friends lost in the tragedy, all the while believing a higher power had something to do with why she is here today.
“If there is anything I know, it is that God is the reason I am here today; I am truly blessed,” Bolden said. “Honestly, I should have never got out of there; but I escaped, and better yet was unscathed.”
The memories of what occurred continue to sting a bit for Bolden though, turning down jobs in Manhattan following the tragedy to take on a new life in Gaffney.
“Everything was destroyed; I could not see myself going to work beside a gaping hole which became the place many of my friends took their last breaths,” Bolden said. “When I first got down here I shared my testimony of survival, of being blessed and covered. No doubt I’m a living testimony, and so is my child.”

0 comments: